Research (Spectacle)

once I had become comfortable with idea I began researching the topic and how it might relate more with some of Debord’s theories. Due to the the fact that ‘the blur’ is only a recently coined word, it was very difficult to find any in depth articles or websites on the topic. This was both dis-heartening and inspiring as it meant that this idea was somewhat original, and it was nice to be venturing into a entirely new topic. In terms of Debord’s theories, his ideas that the spectacle is designed to distract, and that society chooses to be distracted easily links to peoples reliance on mobile phones as a form of communication and entertainment.

At first, although I knew what my film would be about, I did not know exactly how to portray it on screen, I could go for a metaphorical stand point, or a more literal one. I chose the more literal approach, there are two reasons for this, the first is that it would be much easier and would require less time and effort, a very positive thing when taking into account the short deadline. The second one is that, due to the un-heard of subject matter. I did not want the message to be unclear or mid-understood. Therefore I chose to have a point of view film with someone using a mobile phone with the area surrounding the mobile phone being blurry and very difficult to see.

There was two techniques that I was aware of that could create this effect, the first was to use a shallow depth of field to ensure that the background was not in focus but the phone was. The other technique was to use post production methods to mask around my mobile phone and overlap two images, one that is blurry and one that is not. creating the effect that the phone is the main focus of the camera. I chose to choose the second techniques as I had experience using masking before and understood what was to be expected, and I knew that the blurry area would be emphasised through this method.

I chose to do all the camera work myself and to only shoot inside my own house. This is because I knew exactly where I wanted to walk during the film, and what I wanted to be ‘seen’ around the outside of my phone. With regards to audio, I knew I didn’t want natural sounds as that would be unrealistic and counter balance the message of the film. I was tempted to use some royalty-free music in an attempt to make the audience believe that the music was coming from the phone. However this didn’t seem right to me and I was worried that the audience would be too focused on the music and miss the message of the film. This lead me to the idea of simply using radio static as audio for the entire length of the film. Not only would this not distract my audience but it would also emphasise the fact that while using your mobile phone you are completely enveloped into what is on screen, nothing else is clear, both visuals and audio.

Now that I knew exactly what I had to do to complete my artefact, I was ready to move on to the production stage.

Advertisements

About Each Moment Matters

My name is Paul Doughty and I am in my final year of a BA in Media Production.
This entry was posted in Research and Developent (360. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s