Colour correction for me is a must, it irons out any problems that you had onset and it allows for the shot to become bright and more vibrant, or darker and moodier depending on the desired effect. There were three ways that I could think of doing the colour correction, the first and simplest was to use the presets in Premier pro, the editing software of my choice. The second way was to down load specialist colour correcting software such as Resolve 11 or Speed grade CC, but as I didn’t have a large pile of money hiding way in my bedroom, it was unlikely that I would be able to do this without resorting to illegal measures. The third way was to import my film into Adobe After effects. While fully compatible with Premier, this was not ideal for me as I had no experience using After effects to colour correct a piece of film before. So through process of elimination I was forced to choose to simply colour correct using Premier itself. I was perfectly happy with this choice as I had use Premier’s colour correcting features before, and while they were not extensive, I felt that they would be sufficient enough for this project.
This film is unlike any of the other films that I have made as the lighting was more specific, meaning that the colour correction in the shot had to fit the lighting, as appose to the image. Thanks to the fact that I wanted to use candle light, which is a much warmer source of light that usual light bulbs, It meant that the image had to have more of a warmer feel to it. To do this I allowed a more orange and red tint to the shot than I might normally have done.
This gave the shot the ideal effect in my eyes as it meant that the Dedo lights I was using were less apparent, and combined with the fact that the candles were in shot most of the time anyway, in my eyes, it gave it the look that the entire room was only lit by candles.